Pat's Horseman's Halter
Looking to get started in the Parelli Program?
The Parelli Horseman's Halter is a core tool of the program! It is hand-tied using a smooth yachting braid with simple knots that strategically balance on the horse's head.
"It's light when he's right, strong when he's wrong." —Pat Parelli
Its lightness means that it is easy for your horse to carry around but thin enough that the horse can feel the communication.
- 1/4 inch yachting braid with simple knots under the chin and on the sides, non-fray ends, and loop attachment. This 100% polyester rope has been specifically engineered with horsemanship use in mind. The Parelli rope is dirt, sweat, mildew, rot, and UV resistant. This means your rope will stay truer to its original form longer, without fading, stretching, popping, or elongating. Other ropes in the industry used to make halters are typically nylon yachting ropes and are not designed to withstand the unique challenges of an equine application. Nylon rope stretches, can become stiff with use, increases in size over time, and absorbs unwanted moisture.
- No metal, even to finish the halter, and the ends are melted to ensure years of use.
- Each halter has leather poppers with the Parelli stamp. They are designed to no longer look like a halter when you drop them on the ground. Instead, they collapse into a pile of rope, making it less likely a horse could catch a hoof or otherwise become tangled.
- Many of our customers have owned their halters for 20+ years without breakage or dry rot.
- Our halters protect your horse from additional vice-like pressure that can cause undue suffering, like some other halters on the market.
As Pat has traveled worldwide, he used that time years ago to tie the halters himself on the way to clinics to perfect the design. Today Parelli halters are still hand-tied using smooth yachting braid with simple knots that strategically balance on the horse's head.
We don't use 'pressure knots' as they cause unnecessary discomfort (and all the horses say thank you). The loop for attaching lines hangs below the jaw and acts as a hinge. A heavy or thick halter results in dead weight on the face, which causes the horse to be dull to pressure and can push on nerves. This halter is tied with the horse's facial structure in mind and is the best fit on the market. This halter is for everyday use and teaches your horse to yield instead of lean or push.
Pat Parelli says, "One size fits all unless your horse is too big or too small!" He also shares that the regular-size Horseman’s Halter fits 90% of the horses he’s ever seen.
A few important thoughts to consider:
Do not leave the halter on the horse if it is loose or turned out to pasture; it could get the halter caught on something.
Thin to win - your horse will not be as inclined to lean on this halter, so it will help you win the Porcupine Game and earn your horse's respect.
Do not try to adjust the knots.
Only attach snaps, reins, leads, and ties to the loop below the fiador knot.
Available Colors: Blue, Green, Black, Burgundy, Vaquero.
Please click here for alternate colors, Red and Purple.
*NOTE - White Halters are special order items. Please call to place an order for White Halters.
Thank you to the entire Parelli Team!! "
I bought 4 halters and need to exchange them. I have 4 geldings, not warm blood or draft and purchased regular horse size halters they are so small they are difficult or not able to tie. They are tight on the horses noses as well.
Glad you came up with the warmblood size. Much better fit than the previous xtra large. The rope material is shinier and slippery, though which I don’t care for.
My package got here real quick…thankyou.
Love my new halters and 12’ ropes. Especially love the new colours. My old halters and ropes are 35 years old!! They are still in working order just some of the clips have worn out. 😍
It was a gift for my daughter. She loves it!
We have used the Parelli Halters & lead since 1993 - we first found out about natural horsemanship. We have used the 7 games ever since. These new halters & leafs are our Christmas gifts to our horses and ourselves. Always good to have new tools to aid in our relationships with our horses. Again- great colors and I am sure they will last a long time as our other halters have.